BLOG: May is Better Hearing & Speech Awareness Month.
May is Better Hearing & Speech Awareness Month. Speech-Language Pathologists play an important role in working with the aging population. Speech-Language Pathologists are highly trained to help older adults with communication, cognitive and swallowing impairments due to illness, trauma or disease.
Signs of Speech and Language Disorders:
- Having Difficulty Communicating to Others
- Struggling with Speaking Clearly
- Having Problems with Expressing Your Thoughts
- Hoarse or Raspy Voice
- Trouble Swallowing
- Frequent Coughing or Choking During Meals
- Extra Effort or Time Needed to Chew or Swallow
- Saying Words in the Wrong Order
- Avoiding Social Activities
If you or a loved one is experiencing any of the above signs, talk to your doctor about Speech Therapy. Speech-Language Pathologists can help older adults communicate their needs better, boost their memory and thinking skills, and improve their ability to swallow.